New Series Title: “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. “

Today we discovered ABC released a new name for the S.H.I.E.L.D. series on a website aimed at potential advertisers.  It is entirely possible this is not the final name that will be used for the series and we think, as in "Marvel's The Avengers", most of the time the "Marvel's" will be dropped from the title when people refer to the show.

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

Here's the updated description of the show from ABC.

Joss Whedon (MARVEL’S THE AVENGERS, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) shows us not all heroes are super with MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.

Fresh from his role in the summer’s box office smash, MARVEL’S THE AVENGERS, Agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) returns to the worldwide law enforcement organization S.H.I.E.L.D.  He puts together a small, highly trained, team of Agents to tackle the cases that haven’t been classified yet, the new, the strange and the unknown.  That team consists of straight arrow Agent Grant Ward (Brett Dalton), an expert in combat and espionage; pilot and martial artist Agent Melinda May (Ming-Na Wen); and brilliant if socially awkward scientists Agent Leo Fitz (Iain De Caestecker) and Agent Jemma Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge). They’ll be joined by civilian new recruit and computer hacker Skye (Chloe Bennet).

Prepare for an epic adventure that showcases the hope and wonder of the human spirit. This is a world of Super Heroes, aliens and the unusual – of action, spectacle and world spanning stories. The show will speak to the human condition through the lens of our very human, non-powered S.H.I.E.L.D agents – that together we are greater than we are apart, and that we can make a difference in the world.

Executive Produced and co-written by Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon & Maurissa Tancharoen (Dollhouse, Dr.Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog), Jeffrey Bell (Angel, Alias) and Jeph Loeb (Smallville, Lost, Heroes) comes Marvel’s first live-action TV series, MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Comments

1. Director E says

What does everyone think of the new name/description?

Every time we get a tiny new piece of information about this show I get so much more excited!

2. Irastev says

The description makes me even more excited for it. The title sounds a bit clunky, to be honest, but as an abbreviation I prefer MAS/MAoS to S.H.I.E.L.D.

3. Director E says

I agree with the clumsy part.. I imagine like everything else that “Marvel’s” will be dropped most of the time and it’ll be referred to as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. or just S.H.I.E.L.D.

4. Irastev says

I imagine the possible confusion between The Shield and S.H.I.E.L.D was potentially an issue with general audiences. In any case, whatever they call it is fine by me — as long as they pick it. Preferably, sooner rather than later.

5. Director E says

Yes… I wish May would hurry up and arrive.. they pretty much HAVE to announce it by Mid May when they Press “Up Fronts” happen.

6. Irastev says

I’ve already posted this link on Whedonesque, an interesting tidbit on MAS from Deadline:

“[T]here is a drama pilot with a zero buzz that is all but assured a spot on the schedule, Joss Whedon’s S.H.I.E.L.D. Why isn’t anyone talking about S.H.I.E.L.D.? Because virtually no one has seen it, with Marvel and Whedon keeping the footage under lock and key.”

7. Irastev says

I think they mean people in the TV industry, various execs and marketing folk, not fans. In terms of fan anticipation SHIELD is definitely at the top of the list.

8. Director E says

All the major entertainment news sites have been posting every tiny bit of info that leaks about S.H.I.E.L.D. just as much as we have… I’d call that buzz!

9. Irastev says

Agent E said

I definitely call that ‘buzz’, but I don’t think it’s the kind of buzz this specific article is talking about. Just playing Devil’s advocate here. The buzz that article is talking about (I think) is not the media buzz (which is considerable!) but sort of internal, off-the record ‘we’ve seen it and it’s great’ coming from people who are not necessarily fans.

Anyway, the part I prefer to focus on the part where it’s ‘all but assured’ to be picked up.

10. HaloHawk87 says

I agree that the new name is clunky, but I understand why they would do it. S.H.I.E.L.D. is too similar to The Shield, but I would of preferred it if it remained S.H.I.E.L.D. or was Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D. Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. takes too long to type, so I will stick to calling it S.H.I.E.L.D.

I’m excited about Jeph Loeb being apart of the show. I thought he did a great job on Heroes. However, he did get fired by NBC when the stories got less interesting.

11. says

The name is fine. I’m glad that they put ‘Marvel’ in the title. Branding can be important.

Personally, I’m more worried about Jeph Loeb’s presence on the show. He is quite controversial in geek fandom.

12. Big Bad says

I’m guessing that with the show being called “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” people would be less likely to think they will be seeing Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr. on TV every night. But of course, that’s bound to happen anyway. I used to think it sounded clunky, but got used to it fairly quickly.

13. Director E says

I think “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” is good. I think it’ll commonly get shortened to S.H.I.E.L.D. … I don’t think anyone will use “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” even if that’s the “official” name just like people don’t use “Marvel’s The Avengers” etc