Marvel Cinematic Timeline Viewing Guide (Updated)

If you are new to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, or have watched some or all of the movies and are just now jumping in to Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. here's the order in which you should watch. There are many tie-in events and themes throughout the movies, one-shots and TV series and this guide will help you watch in the order that will provide the most continuity and enjoyment.

You can buy the first six movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase 1 box set and other movies and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episodes individually see below.

Viewing Order

Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 1

Suggested Viewing Order Format Premiere Date Buy Notes
Captain America: The First Avenger Film Jul 22, 2011 Buy Majority takes place in the 1940s
Agent Carter One-Shot Sep 24, 2013 Buy On Iron Man 3 Blu Ray boxset. Set in 1946
Iron Man Film May 2, 2008 Buy
Iron Man 2 Film May 7, 2010 Buy
The Incredible Hulk Film Jun 13, 2008 Buy
The Consultant One-Shot Sep 13, 2011 Buy On Thor Blu Ray boxset
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer One-Shot Oct 25, 2011 Buy On Captain America: The First Avenger Blu Ray boxset
Thor Film May 6, 2011 Buy
The Avengers Film May 4, 2012 Buy
Item 47 One-Shot Sep 25, 2012 Buy On The Avengers Blu Ray boxset

Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 2

Suggested Viewing Order Format Premiere
Date
Buy Notes
Iron Man 3 Film May 3, 2013 Buy
All Hail the King One-Shot Feb 25, 2014 Buy On Thor: The Dark World Blu Ray boxset
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:01 Pilot | Series Premiere TV Episode Sep 24, 2013 Buy Season Iron Man 3 plot Tie-in
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:02 - 0-8-4 TV Episode Oct 01, 2013
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:03 - The Asset TV Episode Oct 08, 2013
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:04 - Eye-Spy TV Episode Oct 15, 2013
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:05 - Girl in the Flower Dress TV Episode Oct 22, 2013
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:06 - F.Z.Z.T. TV Episode Nov 05, 2013
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:07 - The Hub TV Episode Nov 12, 2013
Thor: The Dark World Film Nov 8, 2013 Buy
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:08 - The Well TV Episode Nov 19, 2013 Thor: The Dark World Tie-in
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:09 - Repairs TV Episode Nov 26, 2013 Thor: The Dark World Tie-in
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:10 - The Bridge TV Episode Dec 10, 2013
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:11 - The Magical Place TV Episode Jan 07 , 2014
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:12 - Seeds TV Episode Jan 14 , 2014
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:13 - T.R.A.C.K.S. TV Episode Feb 04, 2014
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:14 - T.A.H.I.T.I. TV Episode Mar 04, 2014
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:15 - Yes Men TV Episode Mar 11, 2014
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:16 - End of the Beginning TV Episode Apr 01, 2014 Captain America: The Winter Soldier Tie-in
Captain America: The Winter Soldier Film Apr 4, 2014 Buy
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:17 - Turn, Turn, Turn TV Episode Apr 08, 2014 Captain America: The Winter Soldier Tie-in
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:18 - Providence TV Episode Apr 15, 2014
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:19 - The Only Light in the Darkness TV Episode Apr 22, 2014
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:20 - Nothing Personal TV Episode Apr 29, 2014
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:21 - Ragtag TV Episode May 06, 2014
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:22 - Beginning of the End | Season Finale TV Episode May 13, 2014 Buy
Guardians of the Galaxy Film Aug 1, 2014 Buy
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:01 - Shadows | Season Premiere TV Episode Sep 23, 2014 Buy Episodes Agent Carter Flashback scene
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:02 - Heavy is the Head TV Episode Sep 30, 2014
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:03 - Making Friends & Influencing People TV Episode Oct 7, 2014
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:04 - Face My Enemy TV Episode Oct 14, 2014
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:05 - A Wolf in the Hen House TV Episode Oct 21, 2014
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:06 - A Fractured House TV Episode Oct 28, 2014
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:07 - The Writing on the Wall TV Episode Nov 11, 2014
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:08 - The Things we Bury TV Episode Nov 18, 2014 Agent Carter Flashback scene
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:09 - Ye Who Enter Here TV Episode Dec 02, 2014
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:10 - What We Become TV Episode Dec 02, 2014
Agent Carter Episode 1:01 Now is Not the End | Series Premiere TV Episode Jan 06, 2015 Buy Episodes May spoil Captain America: The Winter Soldier
& Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1
Agent Carter Episode 1:02 - Bridge and Tunnel TV Episode Jan 06, 2015
Agent Carter Episode 1:03 - Time & Tide TV Episode Jan 13, 2015
Agent Carter Episode 1:04 - The Blitzkrieg Button TV Episode Jan 27, 2015
Agent Carter Episode 1:05 - The Iron Ceiling TV Episode Feb 03, 2015
Agent Carter Episode 1:06 - A Sin to Err TV Episode Feb 10, 2015
Agent Carter Episode 1:07 - SNAFU TV Episode Feb 17, 2015
Agent Carter Episode 1:08 - Valediction | Season Finale TV Episode Feb 24, 2015
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:11 - Aftershocks TV Episode Mar 03, 2015
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:12 - Who You Really Are TV Episode Mar 10, 2015
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:13 - One of Us TV Episode Mar 17, 2015
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:14 - Love in the Time of Hydra TV Episode Mar 24, 2015
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:15 - One Door Closes TV Episode Mar 31, 2015
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:16 - Afterlife TV Episode Apr 07, 2015
Daredevil | Netflix 13 Ep Series Release Series Apr 10, 2015 Contains a minor reference to events in The Avengers & a minor reference to an early S2 Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. guest character but doesn't really crossover otherwise.
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:17 - Melinda TV Episode Apr 14, 2015
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:18 - The Frenemy of My Enemy TV Episode Apr 21, 2015
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:19 - The Dirty Half Dozen TV Episode Apr 28, 2015 Significant tie-in to Avengers: Age of Ultron. Watch this episode first if you can but if you can't you can still watch and enjoy the movie.
Avengers: Age of Ultron Film May 01, 2015 Read our review.
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:20 - Scars TV Episode May 05, 2015
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:21 - SOS Pt 1 TV Episode May 12, 2015
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:22 - SOS Pt 2| Season Finale TV Episode May 12, 2015
Ant Man Film Jul 17, 2015
Jessica Jones | Series Premiere Series TBA, 2015 13 Episodes available simultaneously on Netflix
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 3 TV Series Sep, 2015   To be confirmed

Thor: Ragnarok Film Nov 2017
Avengers: Infinity Wars Pt 1 Film May 2018
Black Panther Film Jul 2018
Captain Marvel Film Nov 2018
Avengers: Infinity Wars Pt 2 Film May 2019
Inhumans Film Jul 2019

Comments

1. Director E says

Wow… if only I knew sooner that the way to get people to comment is to make a typo I’d have tried it sooner :-p

• Brooke says

Lol. You can go for months without getting any comments, but as soon as you make a typo….people are all over it!! Thanks for this list btw! My little sister is watching the Marvel movies and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D for the first time and I’m trying to make sure she sees everything in the right order.

• Eleyson says

Fortunately I’ve seen everything in the correct order, thanks to my need to be up to date with the series and movies, but this is great for my mom who is very into the Marvel universe. She is about to get to the point that she needs to see Captain America 2 and she is super excited! Thanks for the list!

• Jules says

lol ok so everything is in order correctly right? I’m going to start a movie watching marathon and need to be ready

• Agent Sullivan says

The original post is a great order! Just know that the first season of Agent Carter can go between Captain America: The First Avenger and the Agent Carter One-Shot, and the new episodes of SHIELD season 2 will go right after episode 2:10. You should be good to go!

2. Ben says

Incredible Hulk actually happens after Iron Man 2 and concurrently with Thor. See “Fury’s Big Week” comic series.

3. Charmedbalthazar says

This

The Incredible Hulk [Buy]
    The Consultant Marvel One-Shot (Thor DVD extras)
    A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer Marvel One-shot (Captain America DVD extras)
    Thor [Buy]

should be switched to this

A Funny Thing Happend on the Way to Thor’s Hammer
    Thor
    The Incredible Hulk (the Hulk ends after Thor)
    The Consultant (They’re clearly still in New Mexico during this)

I feel that ALL HAIL THE KING should be inserted in between The Magical Place and Seeds. Sure it came out on dvd after seeds, but it flows much better to put it after the Magical Place since it’s the end of a 2-parter.

• J says

My husband and I were saying the same thing, about The Hulk and Thor being switched, today when we got to that point in watching through the movie series.

Coulson leaves in the middle of Iron Man 2 to go to the desert to what sounds like Thor’s Hammer even though the details aren’t given. If he’s dealing with that in the middle of Iron Man 2, it seems doubtful that he’d has time to deal with the Avengers Initiative at the same time. And isn’t Stark Tower in NY? If Hulk was also occurring during Iron Man 2 don’t you think someone would mention Brooklyn? Just saying that the order of those movies listed in this comment make more sense to me.

• Ben says

The tough part about Hulk is it takes place over such a large span of time. Everything in Brazil happens before IM2,Culver University happens about the same time as Thor, after IM2, and then NYC happens after Thor. “The Consultant” should definitely be listed after Thor though.

• Agent Sullivan says

I agree with Charmedbalthazar, “AFTHOTWTTH > Thor > Incredible Hulk (skipping the final scene) > The Consultant” is our preferred viewing order. Like Ben said, IH happens over such a long time that it causes complications. But this is the order that works best for me.

• Director E says

It actually makes a lot of sense to watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in Amongst the right movies. The timeline of the earlier movies doesn’t matter so much but you will get so much more out of both the show and the movies if you watch them in the correct order. Trust me on this!

4. toni says

I have the Captain America DVD. There are no extras on my disc. The special features don’t have any one shots. So how do I view those???

• Director E says

The One-shots may only be available on bluray discs. Are you referring to the original Captain America or The Winter Soldier?

5. Ana Quiroz says

By deduction, I made the chronology of the films and series, and I confirm this, thanks for the info … I love Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and actors

6. toni says

I have the original Captain America DVD. Your bullet point didn’t specify the winter soldier DVD. I guess I just have to update my stuff. Thanks for the list anyway, I will find it.

7. Casper says

Thank you for updating this. I made a nonstop movie clip with all of the extras added in to watch for marathons from this.

8. Clark Sirl says

I think you should watch captain america last before the Avengers. Whilst the majority takes place in the 1940s, it is bookended by present events and clearly leads directly into the avengers. It also spoils nothing about the rest of the series.

9. J says

Everyone failed to mentioned that there was no mention of SHIELD during iron man 3, tony didn’t mention anyone from the past films, because of this and what Robert Redford requesting iron man to appear at his kids birthday party makes sense that the events of iron man 3 happens during or after captain America: winter soldier.
    Correct order to watch after the avengers is this:
    Thor 2
    Guardians of the galaxy since it ties more to avengers (Thanos) and the events of thor 2 post credits
    Captain America: winter soldier since it tues more to avengers: age of ultron due to post credits
    Iron man 3 because of the absent mentions of anybody and no one around to save the president

• Director E says

The huge mega hole in your theory is that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episode one ties in to Iron Man 3 (extremis) and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episodes 16-23 tie in directly with events going on in CA:TWS so unless all the events in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. happen backward your theory can’t be correct.

10. popcorn_ says

Shouldn’t 1:15 be a T:ADW tie-in? This is considering what Sif says about Odin at the end, which obviously sin’t true if you’ve seen T:ADW

• Ben says

It is a tie-in, but more that it tells us what’s going on in Asgard. Loki is obviously keeping the glamor up and assuming the role of Odin. So whatever he plans, we now know he’s keeping things business-as-usual until he decides it’s the right time to reveal himself. Keep in mind that we, as the audience, know more than those in the MCU, in the case of Loki/Odin.

11. Sentinel says

Gotta admit to being confused a little in the timings.. Based on the movies and shorts I would think the progression is:

Iron Man
    The Incredible Hulk
    Iron Man 2
    A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer
    Thor
    The Consultant
    The Avengers

The reasoning is the way Thor ties in to Iron Man 2. Thor begins around what, 2/3rds of the way in to Iron Man 2 (Agent Coulson left for something big, and at the end of the credits you see the scene of him pulling up and seeing the Hammer while all the Rednecks are trying to grab it themselves..)

With Thor happening, I find it hard to believe Hulk is going nuts then too. I mean Hulk, Thor, and Iron Man all having their own battles in separate areas of the US all at basically the same time? That’s a little much.

The only thing up in the air really is, Hulk could have happened BEFORE Iron Man.. Since the scene at the end with Tony is part of The Consultant, it’s safe to assume that it takes place a while after the events.. That and the General’s drinking hole makes it seem like he’s been washed out for a while :p

Regardless, imho my timeline makes a little more sense, and evens out the pacing a little rather than having all kinds of hell going down at once..

• Ben says

Check out “Fury’s Big Week” comic series. It is MCU canon and explains what Nick Fury had to deal with the week that Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk and Thor all took place in.

12. Agent K80 says

Sentinel said

Iron Man
    The Incredible Hulk
    Iron Man 2
    A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer
    Thor
    The Consultant
    The Avengers

There is a scene in Ironman 2 (at the end) showing the reporter covering the Hulk battle at the university.. so Hulk finishes after Iron man 2.. and yes, they all were battling at around the same time at different places in the world…
    wait till they introduce more characters, there will be battles occurring in every nook and corner of the universe every day by then.

13. Martin Taylor says

Actually, although Captain America TFA is set in the 1940s the start and end are just before AA, the post credits scene is actually straight from AA. So, it should be Thor, Cap the the Avengers.

14. Faldang says

Isn’t it best (for actually picking up the storyline) to just watch all the stuff in the order it was released?

Of course, if someone wants to watch them chronologically from the POV of the Universe, then it takes some juggling around. But I don’t think such an order would be friendly to new viewers.

15. Agent K80 says

Faldang said

it is meant for the direhard fans.. i know some one made such a version into a single movie and uploaded it on a server

16. Agent Sullivan says

Faldang said

With the MCU spanning so many media types now, and some of the films spanning large time-frames, it’s probably impossible to create one perfect viewing order for everything.

I would probably agree with you that for a new viewer the easiest initial viewing order for Phase 1 is probably release order (or perhaps swapping IM2 and IH)–and possibly skipping the One-Shots the first time through.
    And the order Director E posted is what I would suggest for Season 1 & Phase 2 (so far).

My preferred viewing Phase 1 order (for personal use) is:

Iron Man
      Iron Man 2 (skipping the post-credits scene)
      A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer
      Thor
      Incredible Hulk
      (skipping the post-credits scene)
      The Consultant
      Captain America: The First Avenger (skipping the post-credits)
      Avengers
      Item 47

It’s not perfectly chronological but it’s pretty close, and I like the way it flows. It works for me, but your mileage my vary http://shieldtv.net/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

[With there being so much now in the MCU I occasionally do thematic viewings. For example, Iron Man viewing would be IM, IM2, The Consultant, Avengers, IM3; Captain America would be CA:FA, (Agent Carter OS), Avengers, CA:WS, [A:AoU, CA:CW, etc]. A Peggy Carter marathon could be CA:FA, opening scene of episode 2.01, Agent Carter season 1, Agent Carter OS, CA:WS, and so on–with rumored appearances in other phase 2 works to be inserted where necessary.]

But like I said, there’s no one perfect viewing order. There is nothing wrong with the one Director E posted above, release order also works, or whatever order you prefer. :D

17. AgentFC says

Agent Sullivan said

Agree with this method!

18. Agent97.2 says

The Marvel Universe is so vast! It’s incredible how they’ve gone from Timely Publications and only comic books to many different forms of media and intertwining stories.

19. Jehphg says

Is’nt the miniseries Agent Carter chronologicaly in the middle of the Agent carter one-shot?

here: http://collider.com/agent-carter-tv-series-christopher-markus-stephen-mcfeely/

this part:

The show would start in 1946, sort of in the middle of the timeline of the One Shot. McFeely said, “We can’t get her to the end of S.H.I.E.L.D. that fast. We wanna stay in that world longer where people are disrespecting her and she’s proving herself and going on missions and things like that.”
    Read more at http://collider.com/agent-carter-tv-series-christopher-markus-stephen-mcfeely/#zS4VoflaKslvERd8.99

i think it’s best to put a note explaining this or people will be confuse when they start the series and she isn’t creating S.H.I.E.L.D. alongside Howard Stark. =D

• Jehphg says

Oh nevermind, although i read the entire timeline before posting i didn’t see you already explained that. thanks for the hard work

20. Jehphg says

here: http://collider.com/agent-cart…..n-mcfeely/

this part:

Read more at http://collider.com/agent-cart…..slvERd8.99

21. Jehphg says

22. David Henwoood says

I think the movies, Agents of Shield, Agent Carter and any other MCU should have date and time stamps on each scene. That will help people understand which order to watch each movie and tv series.
    1st C.A.F.A skipping the start and end of C.A.F.A.
    1st or 2nd Agent Carter tv series.
    3rd Iron Man
    4th Iron Man 2 or Hulk or Thor or alternate between each one
    5th Hulk and Iron Man 2 or vice versa.
    6th Thor
    7th watch all of C.A.F.A or just the start and end of C.A.F.A
    8th Avengers
    9th Iron Man 3
    10th Thor 2 T.D.W.
    11th C.A.W.S.
    During 9th, 10th, 11th Watch A.O.S season one
    12th A.O.S Season one last 3 episodes
    13th Gaurdians of the Galaxy
    14th Season 2 of A.O.S.
    I’m really interested to see how A.O.S season two
    connects with Avengers 2

23. Eleyson says

24. David Henwoood says

1st C.A.F.A skipping the start and end of C.A.F.A.
    1st or 2nd Agent Carter tv series.
    3rd Iron Man
    4th Iron Man 2 or Hulk or Thor or alternate between each one
    5th Hulk and Iron Man 2 or vice versa.
    6th Thor
    7th watch all of C.A.F.A or just the start and end of C.A.F.A
    8th Avengers
    9th Iron Man 3
    10th Thor 2 T.D.W.
    11th C.A.W.S.
    During 9th, 10th, 11th Watch A.O.S season one
    12th A.O.S Season one last 3 episodes
    13th Gaurdians of the Galaxy
    14th Season 2 of A.O.S.
    I’m really interested to see how A.O.S season two
    connects with Avengers 2

25. Elsa Green says

I have decided on getting into the Marvel universe literally decades after everybody (no comic books in my country) and I like to do things right and start from the beginning. This is really very helpful. Thanks ^_^

• Director E says

Glad you’re finding it helpful. We plan to update it more shortly for the new things coming out including movies, more Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Netflix shows.

26. Elsa Green says

27. Director E says

28. Agent Sullivan says

Elsa Green said

Elsa, lots of us here have read few or none comic books, so don’t feel bad! If there’s anything we can do to help you as you watch, let us know. Enjoy!

29. AgentFC says

Elsa Green said

While it’s fun to occasionally go back to the comic book history, speculating on how the live action version would take cue from the depiction in the comic… the MCU is a separate universe in its own, which means things can happen in its own liberty (meaning changing and modify things from the source). From what I observe, Marvel always try to make things easy to digest for audience with lack of or even zero background of the comic continuity, that means one doesn’t actually need to read the comic to be able to follow the MCU http://shieldtv.net/wp-content/sp-resources/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif.

Oh, and I don’t think you’re a decade late for the MCU… http://shieldtv.net/wp-content/sp-resources/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif. From what I can tell, concerning the MCU, we’re all in the same level Cool

30. MarvelDude says

MARVEL CINEMATIC TIMELINE VIEWING GUIDE

PHASE 1
    1. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) (Majority takes place in the 1940s)
    Agent Carter Marvel One-Shot (Iron Man 3 Blu Ray extras, set in 1946)
    Agent Carter Episode 1:01 – Now is Not the End (It starts mid way through the one-shot in 1946)
    Agent Carter Episode 1:02 – Bridge and Tunnel
    Agent Carter Episode 1:03 – Time and Tide
    Agent Carter Episode 1:04 – The Blitzkrieg Button
    Agent Carter Episode 1:05 – The Iron Ceiling
    Agent Carter Episode 1:06 – A Sin to Err
    Agent Carter Episode 1:07 – SNAFU
    Agent Carter Episode 1:08 – Valediction
    2. Iron Man (2008)
    3. Iron Man 2 (2010)
    4. The Incredible Hulk (2008)
    The Consultant Marvel One-Shot (Thor DVD extras)
    5. Thor (2011)
    Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) (end; post credits)
    6. The Avengers (2012)
    Item 47 Marvel One-Shot (The Avengers DVD extras)
    PHASE 2
    7. Iron Man 3 (2013)
    All Hail the King Marvel One Shot (Thor: The Dark World DVD extras)
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:01 – Pilot (Iron Man 3 Tie-in)
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:02 – 0-8-4
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:03 – The Asset
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:04 – Eye-Spy
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:05 – Girl in the Flower Dress
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:06 – F.Z.Z.T.
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:07 – The Hub
    8. Thor 2: The Dark World (2013)
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:08 – The Well (Thor: TDW Tie-in)
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:09 – Repairs (Thor: TDW Tie-in)
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:10 – The Bridge
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:11 – The Magical Place
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:12 – Seeds
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:13 – T.R.A.C.K.S.
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:14 – T.A.H.I.T.I.
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:15 – Yes Men
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:16 – End of the Beginning (Captain America: TWS Tie-in)
    9. Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier (2014)
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:17 – Turn, Turn, Turn (Captain America: TWS Tie-in)
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:18 – Providence
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:19 – The Only Light in the Darkness
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:20 – Nothing Personal
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:21 – Ragtag
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:22 – Beginning of the End
    10. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:01 Shadows (Ties in with upcoming Agent Carter series)
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:02 – Heavy Is the Head
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:17
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:18
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:19
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:20
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:21
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:22
    11. The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron (2015)
    12. Ant-Man (2015)
    (TV: Daredevil, A.K.A. Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Defenders)
    PHASE 3
    13. Captain America 3: Civil War (2016)
    14. Doctor Strange (2016)
    15. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017)
    16. Spider-Man (2017)
    17. Thor 3: Ragnarok (2017)
    18. Black Panther (2017)
    19. Avengers: Infinity Wars Pt 1 (2018)
    20. Captain Marvel (2018)
    21. Inhumans (2018)
    21. Avengers: Infinity Wars Pt 2 (2019)

31. MarvelDude says

MARVEL CINEMATIC TIMELINE VIEWING GUIDE

PHASE 1
    Agent Carter Marvel One-Shot (Iron Man 3 Blu Ray extras, set in 1946)
    Agent Carter Episode 1:02 – Bridge and Tunnel
    Agent Carter Episode 1:03 – Time and Tide
    Agent Carter Episode 1:04 – The Blitzkrieg Button
    Agent Carter Episode 1:05 – The Iron Ceiling
    Agent Carter Episode 1:06 – A Sin to Err
    Agent Carter Episode 1:07 – SNAFU
    Agent Carter Episode 1:08 – Valediction
    2. Iron Man (2008)
    3. Iron Man 2 (2010)
    4. The Incredible Hulk (2008)
    The Consultant Marvel One-Shot (Thor DVD extras)
    5. Thor (2011)
    Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) (end; post credits)
    6. The Avengers (2012)
    Item 47 Marvel One-Shot (The Avengers DVD extras)
    PHASE 2
    7. Iron Man 3 (2013)
    All Hail the King Marvel One Shot (Thor: The Dark World DVD extras)
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:01 – Pilot (Iron Man 3 Tie-in)
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:02 – 0-8-4
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:03 – The Asset
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:04 – Eye-Spy
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:05 – Girl in the Flower Dress
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:06 – F.Z.Z.T.
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:07 – The Hub
    8. Thor 2: The Dark World (2013)
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:08 – The Well (Thor: TDW Tie-in)
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:09 – Repairs (Thor: TDW Tie-in)
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:10 – The Bridge
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:11 – The Magical Place
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:12 – Seeds
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:13 – T.R.A.C.K.S.
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:14 – T.A.H.I.T.I.
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:15 – Yes Men
    9. Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier (2014)
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:18 – Providence
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:19 – The Only Light in the Darkness
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:20 – Nothing Personal
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:21 – Ragtag
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 1:22 – Beginning of the End
    10. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:02 – Heavy Is the Head
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:17
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:18
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:19
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:20
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:21
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 2:22
    11. The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron (2015)
    12. Ant-Man (2015)
    (TV: Daredevil, A.K.A. Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Defenders)
    PHASE 3
    13. Captain America 3: Civil War (2016)
    14. Doctor Strange (2016)
    15. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017)
    16. Spider-Man (2017)
    17. Thor 3: Ragnarok (2017)
    18. Black Panther (2017)
    19. Avengers: Infinity Wars Pt 1 (2018)
    20. Captain Marvel (2018)
    21. Inhumans (2018)
    21. Avengers: Infinity Wars Pt 2 (2019)

32. Jules says

33. Agent Sullivan says

34. luke says

Hi could some please tell me if this is the correct order that they have posted and is it better watching the agent of carter series one straight after captain America 1?

• Director E says

I would leave the Agent Carter series till after episode 10 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 2 but you can watch the one shot after the movie. There are Agent Carter flashbacks in the early part of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 2 which is why I recommend it be this way around. Truth is though, there’s no absolute right or wrong way.

35. luke says

36. Director E says

• Director E says

I expect that it’s safe to watch the whole 13 episodes of Daredevil as soon as they are released but we don’t know yet.

37. Director E says

38. The Autumn Soldier says

If you ignore the date release, I would suggest watching Guardians almost right after Thor:TDW. The Collector is the major link into GOTG and on a rewatch I decided to watch the two after each other and it linked in much nicer. Leading into AoU, Guardians doesn’t really fit (as far as we know yet!) so watching it earlier to me makes sense; potentially after the mid-season finale of Season 1 of AoS to break the series up. Just my two pence!

39. AgentFC says

The Autumn Soldier said

Guardians can fit in like anywhere in the timeline after TDW (and I have a feeling Ant-Man is gonna be the same). I agree with your point though, it does work better when put in tandem with TDW, I’ve known several people who appreciate both movies better when they watch it that way.

40. Agent Sullivan says

AgentFC said

The Autumn Soldier said

Guardians can fit in like anywhere in the timeline between TDW (and I have a feeling Ant-Man is gonna be the same). I agree with your point though, it does work better when put in tandem with TDW, I’ve known several people who appreciate both movies better when they watch it that way.

I don’t know why I had never thought of viewing them in that way, but I like it! I’ll try it later on this month when I get to my AoU-MCU-prep marathon. :)

41. BeatleSteve says

I’m sure this will have to wait until the MCU is completely over, but it would be neat if someone decided to edit everything in order. Examples: Have all the 40s start it out – Captain America TFA, Agent Carter, AofShield flashbacks. Then have Thor and Loki as youngsters, DareDevil and Iron Man 3 flashbacks, Peter Quill going up in space etc.( 1980/90s?). Then to present day:Iron Man, interweaving the events of Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk and Thor. And so on. I’m sure I missed a few things but hopefully somebody gets my overall point haha.

42. Lizzie says

Is there a way we can add the first season of Agent Carter to this timeline? I want to watch it all from beginning to end, so it’ll be nice to have that in there too.

• Director E says

erm… not sure what you mean.. the Agent Carter episodes ARE included in the list… part way through season 2 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. :)

43. Agent Sullivan says

Agent Sullivan said

AgentFC said

The Autumn Soldier said

I don’t know why I had never thought of viewing them in that way, but I like it! I’ll try it later on this month when I get to my AoU-MCU-prep marathon. http://shieldtv.net/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

This afternoon I finished up my marathon with T:TDW, GotG, and CA:WS. I must say I really liked watching them that way. You’re already used to being off-world and dealing with the Infinity stones, so it’s easy to transition to GotG. And watching CA:WS before A:AoU I think will flow better, too. Highly recommended from me!

44. Tony the Tiger says

Awesome list and a great reference!

I think what eventually needs to happen, when all the movies are completed, is someone edits and splices AAALLLLL the movies, tv show episodes and bluray extras into one single continuous video file and uploads it to TPB. Sure it may end up being 72 hours long but could you imagine just having that file and watching the entire thing from wherever you left off!! Or even 3 video files, 1 for each phase.

Anybody have the time? …and computing power?

• Brian C says

I actually have already started this and its currently not possible with Adobe Premier. Premier limits the movie to 24 hours and the last time I did a render it took 4 days to complete. It also has a lot of issues with merging audio and video with a file this big. I’m at hour 42 with constant footage but I feel like this thing will never end though….

45. im868 says

WHAT INHUMANS WILL ONLY AIR IN 2019 I’m afraid that I’ll grow up and don’t care about marvel anymore and I won’t watch that movie. Not fair…

46. leti j says

Is it necessairy to watch agent carter in the middle of season 2 of s h i e l d ? because i really don’t want to interrupt me watching s h i e l d for the time it takes me to watch the 8 eps of AC

• Director E says

I think you can watch Agent Carter on its own without any real issues so go ahead and watch it when you’re ready, but make sure you do because it’s awesome.

47. katrina says

I have started watching the MCU viewing order and so far watched CA:TFA and the AC: One-Shot. I have a question about the One-Shot. Where in the actual AC series does this take place? Before Season 1, during Season 1, or after Season 1? In the One-Shot it said she was just getting over Steve’s death and that was why she wasn’t in the field. There was no sign of the head agent and it was Stark who promoted her. I hope someone can answer my question.

48. Agent K80 says

katrina said

That is a very important question.. No one from Marvel or the showrunners have given any clear answers.  The general consensus is that either the one-shot is longer part of the continuity, or it hasnt happened yet since SHIELD hasnt been formed yet, even though it messes up the dates

Trackbacks