S.H.I.E.L.D. Executive Producer Jeph Loeb was quoted earlier this month saying he has hopes for a Fall premiere for S.H.I.E.L.D. This was welcome news to us all but we are left wondering about the feasibility of this timeline.
The Fall season usually begins early September and with the S.H.I.E.L.D. pilot due to begin filming in a couple of weeks does it leave enough time for the show to be ready? The pilot needs to be filmed and go through post production, then there will likely be a period of evaluation with potential audience surveys before ABC decides whether or not to pick up the series.
This led us to start thinking about what day and time ABC would be likely to air S.H.I.E.L.D. and what we came up with wasn’t overly encouraging.
Here’s a look at the schedule based on what we know right now:
- Monday nights are filled with Dancing With the Stars and during mid-season The Bachelor followed by Castle which currently has a full season order taking it through to May with no signs of slowing down any time soon.
- Tuesday nights are filled with Dancing With the Stars Results, Happy Endings, Don’t trust the B.. In Apartment 23. While Private Practice has been cancelled Body of Proof returns to the 10pm spot mid season. This does potentially leave the 9pm slot if both Happy Endings and Apartment 23 are cancelled (they’re both on shaky ground).
- Wednesday nights we currently have The Middle, The Neighbors, Modern Family, Suburgatory and Nashville however Suburgatory will move from 9:30pm to 8:30pm and How to Live With Your Parents will air at 9:30 from April 3.
- Thursday nights have a spot opened up due to the cancelled Last Resort but this will be filled by Zero Hour as of February 14. The rest of the night is solid with Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal.
- Sunday Nights we know that Once Upon a Time isn’t going anywhere, nor is Revenge, 666 Park Avenue has been cancelled on the other hand, but this will be replaced with the new show Red Widow which begins March 3.
We haven’t included Friday or Saturday nights because they’re not typical nights for scripted drama and there’s also no indication as to when the new drama Mistresses will air which is also due mid-season.
This leaves the only potential spot on Tuesday night at 9pm Eastern IF both Happy Endings and Don’t Trust the B… in Apartment 23 are cancelled.
While this may look discouraging, it’s important to remember that when it comes to this industry things can change suddenly. The good news is we may not have too long to wait before ABC gives us a hint. ABC’s Winter Press Tour takes place Jan 10-11 and more will be revealed about their future schedule during the event.
We’re also happy to admit there are probably holes in our schedule research and you are welcome to contribute new information by posting in the comments below.