Follow us on:
Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Tumblr Friend me on Facebook Add me to your circles
Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Pinterest Watch me on YouTube RSS Feed

Episode 2:14 Review & Discussion | 2:14 | Community Forum

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Episode 2:14 Review & Discussion
Topic Rating: 0Topic Rating: 0Topic Rating: 0Topic Rating: 0Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
March 24, 2015
9:57 pm
Director E

Staff
Forum Posts: 1886

Did you enjoy tonight's episode full of twists and turns and betrayals and all the emotions?

What did you think of ep 2x14?

View Poll Results

Director E. aka SHIELDtv.net Administrator and according to Clark Gregg, I'm Level 8!

March 25, 2015
12:15 am
Afalstein

Level 3
Forum Posts: 136

This was a good episode, but it felt mostly like a placeholder.

It's odd, because in some ways a lot happened.  We finally meet "The Real SHIELD" and their leader Gonzales.  They seem very reasonable and they have some good points, except for the gaping hole in the logic where they haven't even told Coulson they exist.  Seriously, you're blaming the guy for leading a different (from the looks of things, smaller and weaker) SHIELD, when he doesn't even know you exist, and you're questioning his decisions when you just sat back and didn't contribute resources or advice.  I hope it comes out later that there's something else going on, or that there's a reason everyone involved is just accepting this, because as it stands that's pretty stupid.

Also Hunter escapes!  Showing previously unseen levels of asskickery and awesomeness--seriously, man, even Ward didn't escape SHIELD.  Way to steal the airplane.  Interesting that Hunter, who's always been portrayed as the flake and unreliable one, is here the loyal agent who's chastising everyone for being backstabbers.  I have to say, he came out on top in that argument with Bobbi--a relationship where the person is always lying and pursuing other agendas is really not sustainable.  My current impression of Bobbi is a shallow person who deludes herself into thinking she's something other than she is.  

So there's a lot of interesting stuff, but it's mostly setting stuff up for the big showdown next time.  Cool to see that Coulson and co ARE, in fact, aware that they have spies in their midst.  Looks like Mac will be caught before the big assault (pity, I really wanted to see a May vs. Mac fight.), so it seems Bobbi is really going to be outnumbered.  But it looks like she does pretty well, so she must have backup.

Part of the reason the episode drags is the Skye subplot.  It's interesting to see May and Coulson questioning their decisions.  The refuge seemed pretty cool until he mentioned the laser fence.  And I really wonder about those new gauntlets.  Simmons even questioned their use, which means they either do something extremely hardcore nasty, or they somehow make Skye stronger.  A bit disappointed in Coulson for not admitting straight-up to Skye whatever the issue with them is.  My working theory is that they become permanently grafted and can't be taken off.  

So the Skye subplot is interesting, but it's mostly people talking and a little bit angsting.  The main interesting point is Fitz's talk with Simmons--"People Change."  The tagline to this season was "What will he/she become," and Fitz illustrates this well.  Skye became a hulk-mutant (which was a great analogy), Coulson became a director, Tripp became dead, Fitz became a genius savant, and Simmons... became something of a jerk.  Which disappoints me... she was one of my favorite characters.  But Fitz's speech helps me understand, for the first time, why she's become this way (and maybe she'll change back?  She looked very convicted).

The main reason the episode drags, though, is the Ward and Carol storyline.  I understand why its important, and it had good moments--Talbot interrogating the women--but again, a lot of it was just the two of them sitting around and talking.  Agent 33 is a lot more believable than I expected, as a damaged, lost soul.  A lot of people are interested in the "Carol" name, but I really can't attach much importance to that--I doubt that they'd introduce Captain Marvel like that.

In any case, most of the episode looks to be setting up next episode.  Seems Coulson's people hold off Bobbi's assault, but also that Gonzales's people go after Skye, for some reason.  She'll probably have to use the new gauntlets, and become acquainted uncomfortably quickly with whatever side effect they have.

The following users say thank you to Afalstein for this post:

Agent Almost-Fan, Agent Grey, morelwe
March 25, 2015
5:47 am
AgentFC

Level 4
Forum Posts: 897

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this episode... I think it's good, but I also agree with Afalstein, this feels a lot like setting up for the next episode.

Anyway, here's my notes:
- I think I'm among the minority who's a bit tired with the 'betrayal' twist... Frown
- I love that talk between Skye and Coulson in the plane, but agree with Afalstein, throughout the episode does feel a little too long and rather draggish.
- Love the mask technology comes to play again, though it does fall out of logic many times when Agent 33 uses the tech to change into different people. The most obvious one is when she turns into that male officer, because no way it can change the neck size as well Wink.
- It's rather predictable that she will change into Skye. And though once or twice the lipsync doesn't quite match the dialogue, I think Ming-Na does a great job with her dubbing skill (after all, she's Mulan). The sound editing on the other hand, makes it obvious that dialogue is post-recorded.
- Agent 33 finally reveals her real name, Kara, which is exactly like in the comics. So yay for that! And eventhough he's a bad guy, I feel bad for Bakshi. Serves him right though LOL.
- Oh my... 'real SHIELD' has amazing assets, and they all share similar dislike towards the dead-but-actually-not Fury. I wonder if this will play into Age of Ultron since in the last trailer

, Fury can be seen commanding a team looking exactly like his past self.

- Really LOVING Hunter's attitude, and the way he somewhat defends Coulson. He manages to get away fairly easily though... WOW. Either he's really that good, or the real SHIELD just doesn't have proper security measures. I hope he'll arrive on time to rescue Coulson and the team next week.
- It's clear Bobbi is hesitating about her role. At least, that's what I sense from how Adrienne Palicki acts it. Perhaps she has another agenda and her true allegiance will be shown in the next episode?
- It's bugging me how they are able to know about Fury's toolbox though... did Fury himself brag about that gadget to every senior agent? I'm not sure even Coulson himself knew about it before. Hmmm...
- Skye is wearing the Quake glove! I hope it's not meant to do something dangerous though.
- And Fitz confronts Simmons about 'change'. Oooh that's deep!
- So Coulson and May are already suspecting Mack, huh? Hmmm...

It's getting more obvious that this show is taking cues

from Secret Warriors , but with Coulson taking over Fury's role.

I wonder how it will turn out in the end?

Next week looks great, I hope it will live up to the expectation. Only 1 month left to set up Age of Ultron, and then the season finale's episodes. Things will be moving really quickly...

The following users say thank you to AgentFC for this post:

Agent Almost-Fan
March 25, 2015
7:00 am
Faldang

Level 2
Forum Posts: 61

This was probably the best filler episode I ever saw, on any show :D I honestly don't mind the slow pace, and I enjoy the character development a lot. It's cool to have a massive "effects" episode like the one with Cal's team, but not every one needs to be like that.

I just hope that the "real SHIELD" plot isn't just a throwaway meant to fill the gap before the season finale, I'd love it if it turns out to lead to a bigger plot. For the moment, it's interesting. :)

The following users say thank you to Faldang for this post:

morelwe
March 25, 2015
3:32 pm
MR. T

Level 2
Forum Posts: 13

I'm going to have to agree with everyone here. This was just a filler episode. Actually, I have kind of felt that way about the last couple of episodes. Last week with Cal and the "super" villains was just disappointing. Anyway, everyone here makes a lot of really good points. I, too, am tired of the betrayal plots. Doesn't Coulson have enough to worry about without some secret organization that doesn't like him because he keeps secrets. And I have a hard time calling them the "real" shield, (even though their logo is cool). I'm still trying to figure out how they got so many people when it seems like Coulson is running around trying to get whomever he can and how Coulson doesn't know about it (or does he?). Wouldn't someone along the line say something like "Oh, are you with the real shield?" It's good to know that he doesn't trust Mack, but what about Bobbi and how much does he know?

The Skye subplot, totally dragging on. Okay, we get it. The team is afraid of her, except for Fitz. But at least we now know why Fitz can't go back to the "old" Fitz. He has to be "different" so that he can be the understanding one when the others change (Mack with being controlled by the alien city, Skye with her new powers).

Anyway, next week should be interesting. I don't know if I agree with the preview about it being "what no one expected". After yesterday's reveal, we kind of knew that the 2 shields were going to have to meet at some point. At least they aren't dragging it out.

March 25, 2015
5:09 pm
Potts

Level 2
Forum Posts: 22

I am also tired of the betrayal plots.  Bobbi definitely seems conflicted about where her allegiance lies, but the preview for next week sure made it seems she is being a good little "real" Shield soldier.  I do think she will come around and go with Coulson's Shield, I just don't know how long that will take. 

I am also more than ready for Skye to get her powers under control and start being her superhero self.  The best thing about this slow pace is the Fitz/Simmons dynamic.  I am hoping Simmons snaps out of it, but have a feeling she will go along with the "real" Shield.  Turning on Coulson seems to be the theme of the show these days.  It is disappointing because at one time I loved her character and want to be able to love it again.

It bothers me that "real" Shield claims they want transparency but instead of talking to Coulson (Hunter was dead on with that statement), they decide to infiltrate his team to steal Fury's toolbox.  They have so many more resources, but really, what have they been doing other than plotting against Coulson while Coulson stopped Hydra from using the Diviner, took out several Hydra leaders, flooded the city, made amends with the government, etc.? 

March 25, 2015
9:34 pm
Hawkeye86
NY

Level 3
Forum Posts: 190

Seems like everyone is in agreement here, it was basically a filler episode, as was last weeks. Basically we got an explanation of the new SHIELD faction and Hunter escaped, setting up next weeks apparent showdown. And Ward and Agent 33 are brainwashing Bakshi, leading to something (maybe they take over the remains of HYDRA?) And Skye was put in a cabin, which sets up her learning how to control her powers I guess. Not that it was bad per say but nothing really paid off so to speak. 

So Bobbi doesn't seem to be fully committed to new SHIELD. I'm thinking her time with Coulson's group has partially changed her mind and something will happen to make her switch sides (She is a season regular now, I don't see them upgrading her for half a season) or she was a double agent working for Coulson (or maybe Fury/Hill) sent to figure out the other SHIELD's intentions.

I wonder what Gonzalez was doing this entire time anyways, when SHIELD was being hunted sailing around in an aircraft carrier doesn't seem low profile. And while I like the new logo, did they really take the time to change the SHIELD logo everywhere on base and get new uniforms for their commandos? That doesn't seem like a smart use of resources.

Talbot seemed to zigzag in how competent he was through the episode. He mentions he could be impersonated at one point but never again considers that the spy could be pretending to be a male. He figures out it's a spy in a face changing mask but he never sounds an alert (his wife walks right into the building, and mentions there was nobody at the front) and those questions were pretty obvious, I guessed the answers correctly.

And Skye's whole subplot seems to me its a season early. I think it would fit more thematically closer to Cap 3 then right now.

March 25, 2015
10:22 pm
Agent Almost-Fan

Level 2
Forum Posts: 16

I don't think this was just a filler...I like to think that each eps is all leading up to a master plan. (Though, I wasn't a fan of the "super-villain gang" last week.) I liked this eps!!!

So...Instead of stating what we all just saw how about some question marks!?!

1) Is Ward using Agent 33?...

2) Is Bobbi really "real shield"?

3) Why are they brainwashing the guy? I mean what do they want from him? (He has now been through so much XD)

4) Is Simmons "Real Shield"?

5) Am I the only one hoping for Skye to get her full blown gloves!? (Haha)

"Your change has been the worst." -Fitz (Oh, snap! BURN)

"I'm not insane..."-Ward (Loved it)

The following users say thank you to Agent Almost-Fan for this post:

Faldang, morelwe
March 25, 2015
10:51 pm
HaloHawk87
Minnesota

Level 3
Forum Posts: 219

I thought the new episode was just ok. Weakest episode of the season so far. I don't like the direction the show is going right now. It's starting to get worse and worse with each episode. I hope Ward and Agent 33 leave the show soon. I feel like they no longer serve a purpose. It was interesting to hear a reason behind Lola.

The following users say thank you to HaloHawk87 for this post:

AgentWhat
March 26, 2015
2:21 am
Agent Aeryn

Level 3
Forum Posts: 209

I'm not sure how to feel about the episode.

I didn't think it was bad but I didn't think it was good either.
As I said in the review for ep 13 I am tired of the betrayals and I see here a lot of you feel the same so I'll leave that for now and see how it works out.

I liked the Ward/Agent 33 parts.. Ward is sweetly creepy to Agent 33/Kara but I do believe he does everything on purpose with a specific reason.Maybe there's hope that Kara will come to Coulson's team? Because she seems to be returning to her former self which was of course a SHIELD agent.
Ward does seem to realise Skye really isn't in love with him anymore. The way he said he resolved his "family problems" was....creepy lol.

The FitzSimmons talk was good. I liked what Fitz said to Simmons about her change being the worst.. I agree, allthough I do understand it, I hope that Fitz's remark smacked her out of the extreme way she's thinking at the moment.

Seeing who's in the "real" SHIELD I wonder if that's why Mack was so interested in Fitz..Maybe he and Bobbi were investigating also who they could turn to their side and away from Coulson....

You know what these last eps feel like? like the ones right before CA:TWS !!!!

Director Coulson: "I can't believe I am the only one seeing this right now" (Agent May vs. Agent May)
March 26, 2015
5:00 am
Agent Grey

Level 2
Forum Posts: 37

Afalstein said

Also Hunter escapes!  Showing previously unseen levels of asskickery and awesomeness--seriously, man, even Ward didn't escape SHIELD.  Way to steal the airplane.  Interesting that Hunter, who's always been portrayed as the flake and unreliable one, is here the loyal agent who's chastising everyone for being backstabbers.  I have to say, he came out on top in that argument with Bobbi--a relationship where the person is always lying and pursuing other agendas is really not sustainable.

THIS. Hunter IS a badass - the man was in the SA flippin' S, with 5 commendations for distinguished service. He's been holding out on us all season, and now we're getting to see him, both his asskickery and his awesomeness. (I KNEW I should have launched that #StandWithHunter hashtag!)

Watching him start to come into his own was the high point of the episode for me - I had a feeling this was what they were going to do with him in the back half of the season, and I'm hoping for a really nice character development arc for him in the rest of the episodes. I hope we get to watch him get solidly integrated with whatever is left of Team Coulson.

Speaking of character development - the other high points of the episode for me were the conversation between Coulson and Skye on the quinjet and the brutally honest exchange between Fitz and Simmons. I MISS those character moments, and I feel like the show has been trying to do so much lately that we've been completely missing the foundation of RELATIONSHIPS that has been, for me, the strength of the show. Of course, all the relationships are in a shambles right now, and whether that's interesting conflict or just depressing is, I suppose, open to debate. But I appreciated those moments where the characters got to feel like they were being THEM again. My hubby thought the dialogue on this ep felt the most true to character of any of the episodes in the second half so far. I liked it. 

Low points - yes, we have to wait until next week for anything to actually happen. ARGH! I am seriously going to have to turn my brain off to get anything accomplished in the next week. (Okay, that was melodramatic.) Ward...über-creepy. I thought I was going to like where they were going with him and 33, but the utter creepiness of the way he kept smiling at her throughout this episode, mingled with the sneaking suspicion that he's just using her attachment to him for the purposes of his own sick plans, just makes me want to throw things at him whenever he's on screen. Yuck. I really wasn't a big fan of that storyline. :-/  I did think Talbot was fun for some comic relief, and I'm relieved to see that he still seems to be in Coulson's court. (Oh my gosh! *Someone* who isn't against him!)

Hooray for May seeing through Mack's blustering! And does anyone else think Hunter may actually still be on the aircraft carrier? My hubby theorized he's going to sneak onto whatever craft Bobbi takes and sound the alarm once they get back to the Playground.

And what do we think about Bobbi? Pointy SHIELD true believer or Coulson mole? I know it was mentioned up above, but I'm wondering what everyone else thinks.

The following users say thank you to Agent Grey for this post:

Faldang, Agent Aeryn, morelwe
"A man can accomplish anything when he realizes he's a part of something bigger." - Director Phil Coulson
March 26, 2015
5:15 am
weapon_hunter
Dresden, Germany

Level 2
Forum Posts: 46

Hawkeye86 said

So Bobbi doesn't seem to be fully committed to new SHIELD. I'm thinking her time with Coulson's group has partially changed her mind and something will happen to make her switch sides (She is a season regular now, I don't see them upgrading her for half a season) or she was a double agent working for Coulson (or maybe Fury/Hill) sent to figure out the other SHIELD's intentions.

I really like this idea that Fury sent her to figure out the other SHIELD's intentions. Would be really great and fits his kind.

The following users say thank you to weapon_hunter for this post:

Agent Aeryn, AgentFC, morelwe
March 26, 2015
5:27 am
Faldang

Level 2
Forum Posts: 61

I never thought about it until reading one of the comments above, but yes, these episodes do feel a bit like the arc leading to TWS in season 1. Also, it's worth bearing in mind that this is still a spy TV show, and betrayals are necessarily a part of any story.

Last season everyone complained about the HYDRA plot being kept secret for too long, now I see a lot of people complaining that the "real SHIELD" plot is being overtly introduced :D

The following users say thank you to Faldang for this post:

weapon_hunter, Agent Aeryn
March 26, 2015
2:49 pm
AgentFC

Level 4
Forum Posts: 897

weapon_hunter said

Hawkeye86 said

I really like this idea that Fury sent her to figure out the other SHIELD's intentions. Would be really great and fits his kind.

Oh my, I'm digging this idea as well! That will totally fit her character so much (Fury's right hand, and double agent thingy)...

Faldang said

I never thought about it until reading one of the comments above, but yes, these episodes do feel a bit like the arc leading to TWS in season 1. Also, it's worth bearing in mind that this is still a spy TV show, and betrayals are necessarily a part of any story.

Last season everyone complained about the HYDRA plot being kept secret for too long, now I see a lot of people complaining that the "real SHIELD" plot is being overtly introduced /wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

Hahaha I just posted similar thought in Eps 15 thread before reading yours... oh, the irony.

The following users say thank you to AgentFC for this post:

Faldang
March 26, 2015
6:14 pm
morelwe
Lyon (France)

Level 2
Forum Posts: 59

Like the episode but not my favorite.

I don't think it's a filler, the lack of action and twist/revelation can explain this feelling, but to me it's an "building" episode. Like some of you said, it explore the relations between characters (that's something i love in this show) and he create a situation, a base for the war to come.

Like Ward, really bad, i m asking about is agenda.

The Bobby / Fury theory is great and solid. But i think we all look to a link with Av AOU.

Hunter and Fitz were great.

Just waiting to see what's the real shield really is. Hope this isn't Hydra again. Marvel had plenty of secret organisation : AIM, Scorpio (agent carter), Leviathan, 10 rings in the MCU, ultimatum, maggia, secret empire... 

About the real shield aware of the fury's toolbox, i think it's logic, Fury hasn't build it and they have the science academy director in.

About the betrayal again, yes it's come again, a bit early but it's a spy world, so to me it's logical !!!

March 26, 2015
6:33 pm
Agent Grey

Level 2
Forum Posts: 37

morelwe said
Hunter and Fitz were great.

The best. Solidified that they, along with Coulson, are my favorites ever. 

The following users say thank you to Agent Grey for this post:

AgentFC, Faldang
"A man can accomplish anything when he realizes he's a part of something bigger." - Director Phil Coulson
March 26, 2015
8:57 pm
AgentWhat

Level 1
Forum Posts: 5

Meh.  My biggest complaint is the creepy Ward and Agent 33 exchanges...really? I really hope this show can do better with their villains, seriously. There's nothing new to learn of their goings-on and they've been off screen for some time here other than they're generic psychos now.

Last week, the gang of villains out to do....what exactly? Get back at Coulson? Aw, cmon, that's the best they can do? Seriously. Note -- I've watched Shield from the beginning and haven't missed an episode but my disappointment is increasing in episodic increments here.  I thought the nuanced thing with Ward and his betrayal/maybe not total betrayal thing was pretty interesting. This...sick, creepy psychopath angle is unappealing and typical.  I like Skye's father actually, so much more could be done with that! 

I hope they aren't making Ward out to be a simple mustache twirling villain.  And Skye, really? Isolate her in the forest somewhere? Maybe she'll join the Villains R Us gang and things get really interesting? 

Right now the only thing keeping me, non-comic reader, watching is to see the outcome of this "real Shield" which I'm feeling is going to fade away into the background with our standard heroes still standing just like Coulson and May moving on from the disturbing news that Agent 33 and Ward freed Baksi to deciding its time to see what Mack's up to?!? WHAT? 

I hope it gets better....

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 301

Currently Online: Agent K80, GDAWG
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
Today Rhalliwell, kertcide7
Upcoming marvelcomicman, Agent Deenie, iChad, Agent Kalliovski, hesadopted, ChaosEdwin, Hail_Hydra

Top Posters:

Agent K80: 1338

Agent Sullivan: 924

AgentFC: 897

Erynus: 366

Kat2107: 331

HaloHawk87: 219

Agent Zaffie: 215

Agent Aeryn: 209

Agent OxygenZero: 206

Agent.Natalia.Romanoff.112: 203

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 292

Members: 3801

Moderators: 1

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 65

Topics: 907

Newest Members: the haker, Simplyloveyou, the_do_that_girl_UK, Anand, Agent Marilove, agentlol123, Skyler1234, papan, DJDoyle, Greyelis

Moderators: Commander James: 8

Administrators: Director E: 1886